[Wikipedia-l] Our officially anonymous software

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Sun Sep 8 22:41:41 UTC 2002

Stephen Gilbert wrote:

> Fellow Wikipedians, I want to say that I am thoroughly
> pleased with the current Wikipedia software. It is
> stable, speedy and useful. I think it's time we gave
> it a name other than "the Phase III software".
>
> Back in the mists of Wikipedia history, two names were
> proposed for the new Phase II software:
>
> 1. Larry Sanger suggested the name "Encyclode", which
> stood for "Encyclopedia Code". Mr. Sanger himself
> admitted this was a very lame attempt.
>
> 2. Jimbo Wales favoured "PediaWiki", so he could say
> "Wikipedia runs on PediaWiki".
>
> I sumbit these two for your consideration, but I hope
> you don't consider them for very long. ;-)
>
> I like the name "PhaseIII Wiki". It is in keeping with
> Wikipedia history, and people won't have to get used
> to a completely new name.
>
> Any other suggestions?

How about Wiki Accountable or Wiki Archive, WA for short.
It could be codenamed for another world known revolutionary.

Washington, who helped found and lead a rather minor backwater
country with a view towards future potential.   Subsequent
versions or translations to other languages could be named
for other recognized visionaries around the world.

This would obviously state our projections of great things
to come for the current "washington" code and other derivatives
as they arrive.

Alternatively, we could start with Caesar or Gandhi.

Regards,
Mike Irwin