[Wikipedia-l] Protected pages

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Sun Sep 8 21:59:19 UTC 2002

Stephen Gilbert wrote:

> --- The Cunctator <cunctator at kband.com> wrote:
> > A fuller explanation of the reasoning has to do with
> > the history of the
> > creation of the Meta site, and the development of
> > contentious policy
> > pages such as those on entry deletion and the
> > definition of Wikipedia
> > vandalism, during LMS's reign.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of the history; I simply don't recall
> any discussion on freezing those pages. Obviously I
> missed it. For the record, I think it's a bad idea.
>
> Stephen Gilbert

Several new approaches, some sweeping and some
more incremental, have been proposed to help
slow down or cool off controversy that appears
to have gotten too heated.

Perhaps new approaches could be tested on these
few policy pages to see if they are helpful in
allowing the community at large (occasional contributors
as well as mailing list regulars) to reach a broad
consensus on incremental policy or presentation changes.

Regards,
Mike Irwin