[Wikipedia-l] Buitach apple

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 8 09:23:02 UTC 2002

Pierre Abbat wrote:

>Can anyone figure out what a "Buitach apple" is? I've seen it only on pages
>about [[candiru]], none of which specify what kind of plant it is.

Interesting problem.  Most of the search engine results seem to use the
term in an identical phrase.  That suggests a lot of uncritical copying.
 I'm inclined to think that the name Buitach is the corruption of
something else.  IMHO the candidate for this is the genus Bowdichia
(Common name Sucupira).  This is a tropical hardwood tree, whose seeds
and bark are reported to have medicinal qualities.  It's range fits in
with what is said about Candiru.

One of our new members, Henriette, is a herbalist, and may be able to
help with this subject.

Eclecticology