[Wikipedia-l] Protected pages

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Sun Sep 8 05:05:18 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 00:58, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> On Saturday 07 September 2002 06:05 am, you wrote:
> > I didn't know that certain policy pages were frozen.
> > What was the reasoning behind it?
> >
> > Stephen Gilbert
>
> Because policy cannot be changed without some kind of consensus first.

Or to put it cynically, so that the policy cannot be changed (in the
WikiWay).

A fuller explanation of the reasoning has to do with the history of the
creation of the Meta site, and the development of contentious policy
pages such as those on entry deletion and the definition of Wikipedia
vandalism, during LMS's reign.

--tc