[Wikipedia-l] Re: Ban warning to GrahamN

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Sep 7 06:05:10 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>On Friday 06 September 2002 10:01 pm, you wrote:
>
>>Why isn't freezing the topic and the talk page worth discussing?
>>Banning is personal.  Freezing the discussion for a day, week, or
>>month is impersonal.
>>
>>Tom Parmenter
>>Ortolan 88
>>

>Good question - I tried just that I almost lost my sysop status.

I consider myself to be more on the laissez faire end of the the
spectrum when it comes to these issues.  I have already complained when
I have considered someone to be acting heavy-handedly.  Nevertheless I
think that some discussion on Tom's proposal is warranted.

I agree that freezing  is a far less drastic step than banning, but some
guidelines would need to be worked out first, among which:   it should
not be used by an active participant in an edit war.  It should be for a
definite period, with that fact being clearly shown on the face of the
article.  Freezing the subject page does not mean the related talk page
is frozen.
Ec