[Wikipedia-l] Re: Ban warning to GrahamN

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Sat Sep 7 06:42:17 UTC 2002

>> Why isn't freezing the topic and the talk page worth discussing?
>> Banning is personal.  Freezing the discussion for a day, week, or
>> month is impersonal.
>>
>> Tom Parmenter
>> Ortolan 88

>Good question - I tried just that I almost lost my sysop status.

For what it's worth, I'm with Tom and Mav that freezing an
article really isn't that drastic an action, and might be a
good thing now and then.  After all, it's trivially reversible,
and it allows the affected parties to still engage in discussion
on talk pages.  Yes, uneditable pages are very anti-wiki, but
as long as it's understood that a particular lock is a temporary
"cooling off" measure, I think it may serve the cause.  And we
should periodically review the locked pages and unlock many of
them if there's no specific reason not to.