[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Ban warning to GrahamN

Tim Marklew tmarklew at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 20:43:02 UTC 2002

Jimbo Wrote:
>Not having reviewed the incident in question, I would tend to agree
>with Axel here.  Banning ips is supposed to be for vandalism of the
>most obvious sort, like inserting random 'farts' in pages, or
>uploading inappropriate pictures, etc.
>
>What did the guy say, anyway?

For those who haven't been following this - GrahamN had posted a bad
tempered message on Anti-Semitism/Talk in which he referred to the
'Zionist's desire to dominate all other ethnic groups in [Israel]' and
similar.  It was originally in response to a change to the page by
SLRubenstein.  I understand that Graham and SLR have since come to a
civilised mutual understanding.

There then followed a very lengthly, bad mannered and inappropriate
exchange, mainly between GrahamN and another user, RK.  Each was accusing
Zionists or Non-Zionists of racism and bigotry in broadly equal measure
(with RK liberally making allegations of anti-semitism, directed at April
among others).

Ed, I appreciate your attempts to stop this inappropriate argument on the
talk page.  However, using your sysop status to threaten banning people just
isn't appropriate. In a situation like this it could be perceived that you
were taking sides in an argument on behalf of Wikipedia, which is not what
sysop status is for.

In this case we were dealing with two known Wikipedia contributors, both of
whom have made good contributions in the past.  Reasoning with them is the
approach to use here and a ban, or threat of one, totally inappropriate.

I would also ask that sysops should not generally sign contributions as
sysops (i.e. writing "Ed Poor - Sysop").  It could be give the misleading
impression that sysops are acting officially on behalf of Wikipedia, rather
than acting as an individual contributor.

Tim (Enchanter)