[Wikipedia-l] The groundrules for a discussion with Helga

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Sep 3 16:23:09 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>This is an unmoderated list, and I'm not about to moderate it to enforce
>these ground rules.

Moderating such a list could be a hell of a lot of work.  I'm sure there
are more interesting things to do with your time.

>5.  A part of this needs to involve a solid commitment by all of us
>that we DO NOT SEEK to cover up any valid information that Helga may
>have and want to see treated in the wikipedia.  If she wants to have
>an article about the Daily Express thing, we should find a way to
>accomodate her.

This may be a key issue.  Expressing and supporting a majoritarian point
of view should still leave room for alternative points of view, even
when the majority considers them quite goofy.  It is still perfectly
acceptable to state that these alternate or eccentric points of view are
somewhat removed from the beaten track.

>6.  Helga should NOT accuse people of trying to cover anything up.
>That's a personal insult.  At the same time, of course, we should not
>insult Helga in any way.  She's been kind enough to come before a very
>hostile court of opinion here, so we should be kind enough to listen.

Although I've had little to do with the specific issues discussed in her
articles I too would like to extend my welcome to her.

Eclecticology