[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia:Top 10 Google hits

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Mon Sep 2 20:06:17 UTC 2002

Taking up the gauntlet that KQ has hurled down ;->, I have thrown
together a Perl script (undoubtedly hideously inefficient; I am not a
native speaker of Perl) that has automated this process -- it repeatedly
calls Wikipedia's random page link, grabs the title, drops all dates,
turns all punctuation (including subpage slashes) into spaces, googles
for the result, and looks for links to "wikipedia."

Sample output, with comments added:

	269		# date, not googled
	Truth drug	# googled, but not found
	Aconitine	# a hit!
	Famous Canadians
	1 E 1 m	# probably shouldn't be googled, but currently is

Would anyone be interested in seeing this cleaned up and turned into a
regular report?

--~~~ the Epopt, aka...

--
 Sean Barrett     | Hey! Chuft-Captain!