[Wikipedia-l] Potential forking of Wikipedia

Karl Juhnke yangfuli at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 06:36:40 UTC 2002

--- Stephen Gilbert <canuck_in_korea2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Karl Juhnke <yangfuli at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > First let me reiterate what I think you are saying,
> > so if I am again
> > missing the point, at least you will know what I am
> > responding to.  You
> > want to have some articles taken out of the domain
> > of the collectively
> > editable, and put into a space (say ExpertWikipedia)
> > where they are
> > maintained exclusively by some expert or experts.
>
> No, not quite. He said that Wikipedia should remain
> *unchanged*. The articles would be copied, not moved.

Ah, sorry I expressed myself badly.  I did in fact understand that
nothing would be *removed* from Wikipedia.  My concern was not that
Wikipedia would lose anything by Larry's proposal.  He is happy to let
Wikipedia go as far as it can under its current structure, but doesn't
expect success beyond a certain level.  Similarly I am happy to let a
panel of experts skim the cream from Wikipedia and copy it to someplace
else, but I think it would be unlikely to help the free encyclopedia
movement.  That's all.

Peace,
-Karl