[Wikipedia-l] proposal of quality controll system for wikipedia

Giskart giskart at linux.be
Sun Sep 1 13:29:00 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>Or we can simply revisit the idea of Beta/Stable; whereby some type of
>process validates an article. Having another level of validation through
>Nupedia would also be a good thing. In that way Nupedia would be a
>distribution of Wikipedia in the same way as Red Hat is a distribution of
>Linus' Linux and the GNU tools.

What do you think of this:
You give to the articels a classification. You can hide or exclude
articels whit a specific classification in your preferences.

1. "draft" : a new articel starts whit the draft-status. After 2 months
and modification by at least 3 different members the articel gets the
"articel"-status automatic.  This way you exclude nonsense.

2. "articel-status": a normal wikipedia articel. Free to edit by everbody.

3. "stable-status":  For a articel to get the "stable-status" there must
be a "vote-for-this-page".  After the first vote for a articel the
software create a copy of the articel whit the status
"candidate-stable". This gets listed on a special page.  There the
"candidate-stable" articel must get a certain amount of votes in a
certain time. ( 8 votes / 4 weeks ?) If it gets sufficient votes the
status of that copy changes from "candidate-stable" to "stable". This
stable version can not be edit. There are now 2 versions of a articel:
 a "stable"-status articel (static) and  the articel whit the
"articel-status" that you can edit.  To change somting on the "stable"
articel a new round of votes is nesseary.

4. "Expert Approved"-status:  to go from "articel-status"  to
"stable-status" you only need the votes of anybody. For a articel to get
the "Expert approved-status" the articel must be given approvel by a
group of experts like on Nupedia. Only those mebers can change the
content of the "expert-approved" articel. But besides the
"expert-approved" articel ypu have still (and always will) the
"articel-status" version free for everbody to edit. And possebly a
"stable" version.

At the end you have almost no articels that are compleet nonsens
("draft-status")
 From articels whit the "stable-status" you now is has been read by
different people and is probably right.
 From the articels whit the "Expert-approved" you now it has been under
serious attension of people that know that subject very good.

I think this way you have the best of Wikipedia and Nupedia together.
Every articel is still free to modify but you have also a layer of  more
static articels that are more trustworthy.

Giskart

"draft": a new articel gets the status of draft