[Wikipedia-l] Disambiguation - Altering Entry Titles?

Tesla Coil tescoil at ilbbs.com
Sun Sep 1 10:13:41 UTC 2002

On 31 Aug 2002, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>> I believe [[Bloody Sunday - Northern Ireland]] now a redirect
>> to which no page points.
>
> Not really!  If you go to that page your change will redirect you to
> your new page.  Thay you have been redirected will now appear under the
> new page title.  Clicking there lets the system know that you really do
> want the old page.  The only text on the page will be your redirect.
>
> Now in the side bar click on "What links here" and (as of this moment)
> three links appear.
>
> Now click the "back" button until you are again at [[Bloody Sunday
> (Northern Ireland 1972)]], and click again on "What links here".
> Voilà!  There they are both the direct and the indirect links.

*blush*  Okay, fixed that, FWIW.

There's brief discussion in "Village Pump" questioning the usefulness
of bypassing redirects, but on previous view of "Recent Changes" I've
noticed several removals of redirects to which no pages point.  Aside
from question of whether it's necessary and good in a given instance,
how does it tend to come to administrative attention?   Is there some
kinda automagic flag raised back there, just happenstance, or what?