[Wikipedia-l] Towards a consensus on Goals (not solutions -- yet)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Oct 16 18:32:33 UTC 2002

>>> 2. That www.wikipedia.org be the language-neutral front page,
>>> with links to the wikipedias of each language.
>>
>> This seems to be a really good idea.
>> Let the opposing three convince the rest that it is a bad thing to do.
>
> I don't know if it's still the case, but a non-content front page used to
> be able to loose 20-40% of visitors to a site.
>
> Imran

There seems to be consensus on user requirements (rather than on solutions):
1. First time visitors get an enticing content page (TBD: what language should this be?)
2. Logged-in contributors get their favorite language site; after they choose it from their preferences page.
3. English language shouldn't appear domineering.
4. One URL (like www.wikipedia.org) for the organization itself, which explains the international wikis (with English as "just another language").

Ed Poor