[Wikipedia-l] Moving the wikis (en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org/xx/)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 19:04:03 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:
>At any rate, have we agreed on the move
>from www. to en. ?

I kinda like the idea of doing the reverse now; have
all the language wikis at www.wikipedia.org via the
syntax www.wikipedia.org/xx/ where xx is the language
code. Brion is floating a similar idea over at the
meta
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughts_on_language_integration
. However his proposal leaves-out the www which I
think is a mistake since www.foobar.org is universally
recognized as an Internet address whereas forbar.org
is not. I like this idea because every language will
then have the promotional benefit of being at the
www.wikipedia.org address and no language is left at
the rather odd looking, IMO, xx.wikipedia.org. This
also improves the url for the English Wikipedia;
instead of being at the redundant
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/ it will be at the cleaner
www.wikipedia.org/en/

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)