[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Oct 13 00:10:38 UTC 2002

Sean Barrett wrote:

> >Can I suggest what many other sites have done?
> >ok i thought so
>
> >A map of the world, click on a certain region, it takes you to whatever
> >language is spoken there...
>
> What language do I get if I click on Canada?
>
> What language do I get if I click on mainland China?  (You of course
> know that there is no such language as "Chinese.")
>
> Where do I click if I want Esperanto or Latin?

Well, obviously, when you hold the cursor over a given area it tells you
what language it is linked to... and in some areas there would need to
be a choice. Bear in mind that this is not providing the ability to
start a wikipedia in any language of the world - it just has to link to
the 12 or 15 where the work has already begun. So Canada would give you
a choice of English or French... and China would take you to which ever
dialect has been chosen for the 'Chinese' wikipedia.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

To err is human... to really foul things up add kitten and stir.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: