[Wikipedia-l] Moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Oct 10 18:30:01 UTC 2002

My objection is not to putting English Wikipedia an en.wikipedia.org but to REDIRECTING www.wikipedia.org to en.wikipedia.org -- it would perpetuate the problem it claims to be solving.

Let's first ask all the various language groups who are actively building The Wikipedia how they would prefer for their readers to find them. And ask what www.wikipedia.org should be, to serve each language group.

Is English really the world's international language? Or just a vestige of British Imperialism (fueled by US Imperialism)? (I believe neither of these myself.)

Maybe first-time visitors to www.wikipedia.org should get a chance to choose their favorite language. Or the page could detect their language setting and users with View-Encoding-Japanese would be greeted in Japanese, with alternate links for the other languages below.

This isn't as easy as changing the suffix from .com to .org -- I think.

Ed Poor