[Wikipedia-l] The whole Max Weismann thing

Guardian Tor guardian-tor at operamail.com
Fri May 31 04:22:02 UTC 2002

> So, could we perhaps work on being a kinder, gentler, less punitive
> wikipedia?

Amen. Along the same lines, I personally would like to see most of the sysop powers removed (deleting and locking pages, baning IPs, etc) from the general Wikipedia population. I just don't think it's necessary in most cases to take (or threaten) such actions, even in the case of vandalism. We had vandals before everyone had these powers, and they were easily delt with: a dozen Wikipedians undoing every act of vandalism within 30 seconds is hard to get around. Of course, there are some instances when banning an IP is necessary, such a continuous attack over the course of a week. But I am in fabour of leaving these powers in Jimbo's hands and letting himmake the call. It just seems too tempting to use these powers, with good intentions, unnecessarily.

- Stephen Gilbert