[Wikipedia-l] AW: Re: [Wikipedia-l] What is the "Edit user settings" feature?

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Thu May 16 07:41:40 UTC 2002

>>  Trusted hand
>> (What privileges does this grant a user beyond the defaults?)
>
>As far as I know there is nothing in the code that currently checks for
>this, and I'm not sure what it's intended to mean. Magnus?

Originally, this was intended to be something between "normal" user and
sysop, someone who can do things like deleting pages, but without, say,
SQL access.
As this was solved by making eveyone who wants to sysop and restricting
sysop SQL access, it is currently not used at all.
If (one day, in a galaxy far, far away;) we can decide on implementing a
"stable" namespace for keeping good articles as a stable copy, the "trusted"
status might come in handy as the "key" for copying articles to that namespace
(if we let everybody do that, it won't be a stable namespace anymore...).

Magnus