[Wikipedia-l] What is the "Edit user settings" feature?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 05:28:57 UTC 2002

What is the "Edit user settings" feature? I hadn't heard anything about it
before, but apparently now any sysop can edit the privileges of any other
user -- including other sysops. A privilege formerly only granted to Jimbo.

This could be a useful feature if the sysops knew what each level does and
there was some type of framework for sysops to follow (thinking of checks and
balances here).

Also, what does it mean to be a:

 System operator
(I assume this means a sysop since this is checked for the registered sysops
-- does this also mean that any sysop can promote any user to sysop status,
or demote any sysop to a common user? If so, then a feature like this
probably should have been discussed here -- on the policy mailing list --
before it was implemented.)

 System developer
(Does this refer to one of the wikiware gods (Like Brion or Magnus)? Probably
should have been discussed before implementation too)

 Trusted hand
(What privileges does this grant a user beyond the defaults?)

-- maveric