[Wikipedia-l] Bugs? or Features?

Guardian Tor guardian-tor at operamail.com
Tue May 14 00:33:35 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:

> Yes, new _features_ or major changes in features should be
> discussed on the list at large.  Again, this one situation was
> an emergency and I'm glad that Jim was able to take unilateral
> action to rescue the project when it was needed, and I wouldn't
> want his ability to do that overly burdened with discussion.

I agree. I don't oppose unilateral action by Jimmy in dire situations, and Wikipedia was grinding to a halt looked pretty dire to me. My only request is that when such action is taken, some sort of general notice is given, either via Wikipedia-L or Wikipedia Announcements.

> I also think programmers ought to have some discretion on minor
> features and changes.  But generally I agree that any changes
> in the interface should be discussed on the general list.

Absolutely. It would be terrible if programmers felt they were being micromanaged and had to run every code change by a mass of non-programmers.

-- Stephen Gilbert

Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
   http://www.wikipedia.com