[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] two suggestions

kband at www.llamacom.com kband at www.llamacom.com
Wed May 8 20:57:58 UTC 2002

=?iso-8859-1?q?Chuck=20Smith?= wrote:

> Improving performance on English server:  when the
> server reaches a certain threshhold of activity could
> we replace the text of all the Special pages with:
>
> "This page is currently inaccessible because of the
> immensive amount of traffic we're getting.  Wikipedia
> is just too popular."

Removing Recent Changes functionality removes most of the
functionality for me as an editor...taking it down would be almost as
bad as the current molasses we're in.

A much better suggestion would be to fix the code. My completely
unhelpful suspicion is that it's PHP's fault. But I'm a perl bigot, so
take it for what it's worth. I'm just not surprised we're having
problems.

--tc