[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Tex update status

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Tue Dec 31 00:32:35 UTC 2002

Erik Moeller wrote:

>>On a related note, I'd like some feedback on the suggestion to provide
>>support for inline musical notation via GNU Lilypond:
>>http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_markup
>>

>In favor if we can get possible security issues sorted out (anyone e-
>mailed the Lilypond folks yet?). Also, we should run some performance
>tests on the MIDI generation etc. to make sure that it's not too taxing.
>
>Since this is likely to come up again, should we think about a general
>plugin framework or something like that? texvc might be extended in that
>fashion.

http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/First-steps.html#First%20steps

It writes "C" for "\time 4/4"? Urg!
LaTex  "feels" like maths feels -- I think this stuff will feel very odd
to the average musician.

It should be fine for basics. Don't expect anyone to transcribe Mozart
with it though!
That said, I think the basics are all we'll need.
(otherwise, there's

  MusicXML

http://www.recordare.com/xml.html)