[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia pages DTD

Richard Grevers dramatic at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 30 19:02:28 UTC 2002

Hello everyone,

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I just noticed that
Wikipedia pages carry a doctype declaration of

Since this does not include the URL to a full DTD, the curse of doctype
sniffing sees most browsers render the page in "Quirks" or "Bugwards
compatible" mode rather than "strict" mode. In the interests of making
wikipedia accessible, I think it would be better to force strict mode -
then editors would be more likely to notice markup errors which affect the
rendering on browsers which do not correct for bad markup.
--
Richard Grevers
CHristchurch, NZ