[Wikipedia-l] Biography as a discipline

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Sun Nov 25 20:31:49 UTC 2001

On Sunday 25 November 2001 20:29, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> There is a current trend in the English speaking world to be overly
> politically correct in the spelling of foreign names.  Not only
> Beijing and Kampuchea, but also Göteborg, Hannover, Köln, and Wien
> start to appear in English texts.  This is a pity, because Gothenburg,
> Hanover, Cologne, and Vienna are well-established words of the English
> language since centuries.  And I find it unlikely that anybody would
> write Sverige, Deutschland, or Österreich in an English text anyway.

I agree in principle, but Beijing actually is not a good example.  It
reflects the way the place's name is pronounced in the official dialect of
Chinese. Peking OTOH is a pronounciation based on an out-of-the-way
dialect where some missionary first wrote down "Chinese" words in the
Roman alphabet.  It's as if the only Swedish a foreigner could learn was
the way it was pronounced by the Finns, I guess <g>

--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
clasqm at mweb.co.za/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx dmnstrtn