[Wikipedia-l] confession of a science believing man

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Sat Nov 24 01:57:13 UTC 2001

Hello everybody!

I think the German Wikipedia is more and more reaching a point, were
there are enough people to start discussions about controversial topics.
I'm thinking especialy about articles with an esoteric/mystic/religious
theme.

Is there some kind of procedure that has been established in the
international Wikipedia?
Do you stop working on the article and start a discussion? Or do you
fight on an article until you come to a consensus (or enough people have
given up ;-) )?

I think in scientific articles it is not such a big problem to specify
the different opinions and state which one is more and which is less
accepted. But I have my problems to declare that ghosts, clairvoyance,
etc. do exist/work, or do not, and that both opinions have the same
possibility. But maybe that's a just lack of my democratic, pluralistic
engagement and an excess of my scientific believing emotions. (BTW: is
parascience a science?)

Am I too afraid of fanatic esoterics/christs/etc that are flooding
wikipedia with totally biased articles and not willing to discuss about
their opinions?

Bye,
Kurt