[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia Yearbook Software

Simon Kissane sj_kissane at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 05:49:23 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,

I have written some software for a Wikipedia Yearbook.
With current Wikipedia software (both UseMod and
Magnus' PHP Wiki) the format of the yearbook pages
must be kept by hand, and if you make a entry under a
year page you must copy it by hand to a historical
anniversaries page. For example, if "X died October 1
1744", if you want it to appear under both [[October
1]] and [[1744]], you must enter it twice, once under
each page.

With my yearbook software, it automatically generates
navigation elements on pages, and you need only enter
an entry once for it to appear under both year and
month-day pages.

If you want to look at it, it is at
http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/yearbook/yearbook.phtml
At present it is very alpha. Some stuff broke when
porting it from my home machine to the sourceforge
server (different PHP version broke my use of regular
expressions), which I haven't been able to fix yet. It
has no support yet for keeping a history of revisions,
recent changes or anything like that. If anyone wants
to look at the code, its in the Sourceforge CVS
repository for Wikipedia.

Once I iron some more bugs out and add some more
necessary features, I plan to integrate it with
Magnus' PHP wiki code, so it will live under a "yb:"
namespace. (I'll separate it out somehow so you can
install the PHP wiki without it if you want.)

Anyway, I'd welcome any comments/criticisms on the
idea in general and my implementation of it.

Simon J Kissane