[Wikipedia-l] Let's do it!

Mark Christensen mchristensen at HTEC.com
Fri Nov 9 20:02:03 UTC 2001

This is good, but I think it should only be short term.

Long term, I am convinced that there is a better option. I'm swamped with
other things right now, but I've been reading this list, and I'd like to
weigh in briefly.  I'd advocate placing the MetaWikipedia information in its
own namespace on the PHP wikipedia software.

That way, we could show encyclopedia changes in one table, with meta pages
(including the Talk: namespace) in another table.  We want the
meta-information to be easily accessible, and easily linked (at least in
user's minds) to the relevant Talk and Article namespaces.  That way we can
easily move information back and forth (refactoring discussion to add
information to encyclopedia articles, and to add policy decisions to the
MetaWikipedia namespaces.)

So, I'm all for a metawikipedia wiki for now, as a testing ground for the
concept, and as a testing ground for no-subpages, but I am convinced that in
the end, we'll really want all of this to be "together" so we can have easy
access to all the information about wikipedia in one place.  This also lets
us write code that will allow us to gather and present even more information
in simple ways.  For example it would be nice to see the % of meta page
edits to  actual article edits over a given period, so we can track how "on
task" we've been.

Yours
Mark