[Wikipedia-l] No subpages. Is that your final answer?

lsanger at nupedia.com lsanger at nupedia.com
Thu Nov 8 22:01:48 UTC 2001

Another thing I wish I had said.  :-)

> > what's the difference?  And shouldn't this page link to the main
> > [[Baseball]] page, automatically?  One would think so.
>
> "Automatic" things are great when they are things that a stupid
> computer can figure out.  Associations between ideas are at the
> bottom of that list.  Human beings should determine those.

This, by the way, is probably the most serious objection to any attempts
to automate the placement of navigational links in articles.  We should we
leave that to chance, if it's so important?

"Let the content itself determine the structure of the web."  That's my
motto.

> Sure, subpages are handy for some things (I use a lot of them).
> But they don't really do much that we can't do anyway, and they
> have at least one serious problem: that they enforce inappropriate
> conceptual relationships.  I think that's 10 times as important
> to get rid of than any mere convenience they might have.0

I agree with that 100%.  (I think there are a few other really serious
problems too, though.)

Larry