[Wikipedia-l] #PARENT

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Nov 8 19:20:04 UTC 2001

I earlier proposed something similar to the "#PARENT" idea,
but I'd like to warn against it as used here: just using to
creat the link is bad.  We can already create links to parent
articles, and we _should_ do so with plain English sentences
that establish context.  Remember the "establish context"
rule?  The article "Generalisimo Francisco Franco is Still
Dead" shouldn't just have a hidden tag that puts a link to SNL
in the title bar rather than the article; it should begin with
a clear English sentence, "Late-night variety show [[Saturday
Night Live]] contained a news parody..."  Sentences.  Good.

My idea was "#CONTEXT", which was used to do the other thing
that subpages are useful for, and for which I currently use them,
and that's to simplify cross-linking among pages within a subject
area.  See the Poker pages, for example; but the same thing could
be done with "Law", "Medicine", "Mathematics", etc.  My idea was
that if a page contained a "#CONTEXT Law" tag, then any link in
that page like [[bar]] would, when the page was saved, search first
for a page "Bar (Law)", and only then "Bar".  Likewise, under
"#CONTEXT Chemistry", [[deposition]] would look for "Deposition
(Chemistry)" and then "Deposition" (hopefully a disambiguating page),
but never "Depostion (Law)".