[Wikipedia-l] A culture of co-operation

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Nov 5 17:28:58 UTC 2001

I think that in the long run, one of the most important things for us
to do is preserve and extend our culture of co-operation, with all of
us standing as firmly as possible against the culture of conflict
embodied in Usenet.

Don't get me wrong -- I love Usenet.  But Wikipedia is not Usenet, and
should not become a forum for debate, especially not debate about
Wikipedia.  That's as bad as a Usenet flamewar about Usenet flamewars!
:-)

Of course there will be disagreements and debates about what belongs
on a particular page.  But we should all endeavor to keep ourselves
focussed on the _end_, i.e. a well-rounded, complete, and high quality
encyclopedia.  Wikipedia is not h2g2 or everything2.  The community is
essential to achieving the goal, but the community exists in the
service of the goal.