[Wikipedia-l] Re: Permament deletions without reason

Dave McKee d.n.mckee at durham.ac.uk
Sun Nov 4 22:13:08 UTC 2001

I have a few questions that I feel need answering so that we all
understand the facts behind the problem:

1) Whilst I accept that Wikipedia requires a total deletion system in
some cases, what are the accepted administrative reasons behind
deletions?

2) Are the deletions tracked (even if not available to the public) in
any way? Is there any way that it can be determined which administrator
has deleted a file (eg: usernames, IP addresses)? If not, is there any
reason why there shouldn't be in the future?

Thanks for your time in answering these questions. Two of the most
important features of the Open Source movement are transparentness and
openness, and whilst I understand that service providers can - and
should - act as a benign dictatorship 'cos it's their backsides on the
line, if these sorts of problems continue it could damage the reputation
of Wikipedia, which is probably Bomis' biggest asset.

I hope these problems can be sorted out in an adult and businesslike
manner, and that any mistakes or omissions are learnt from. [1]

Dave McKee.

[1] This may sound a little high-and-mighty, but the previous postings
had the slight air of 'Look what Johnny did!'  'No I didn't!' - which
doesn't help matters.