[Wikipedia-l] template & locking pages

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Nov 1 22:29:11 UTC 2001

wojtek pobratyn wrote:
> I don't really agree with locking pages, but that is another issue....

I don't agree with the way we're doing it right now, that's for sure.
If you want the password, you can just email me and I'll give it out
freely.  The only requirement is just that I'm aware of you in some
fashion.

I think that getting privileges on the homepage should be automatic,
transparent, and easy.  It's just that I don't find it very amusing
when some random kid surfs in and puts a giant spurting penis picture
there.

It remains to be seen what level of protection is really necessary,
but I really hope that only the most minimal protection is needed.

The success of wikipedia so far has been a great joy to me.  My faith
in the general goodness of human beings has been extended to a great
extent.  I would have thought that with 5,000 unique visitors a day,
we'd be getting at least 50 jerks trying to wreck something per day.
It's a lot less than that!