[Wikikn-l (kannada wikipedia)] ನಮಸ್ಕ ಾರ

H P Nadig hpnadig at pacific.net.in
Mon Nov 22 03:41:45 UTC 2004

Madhu Shashanka wrote:

>>ಹುಡುಕಲು ನೀವು ಸ್ವತ: ಯುನಿಕೋಡನ್ನೇ ಉಪಯೋಗಿಸಬಹುದು.  (Analogous to how you do a
>>unicode search on Google). ಉದಾ:  "ವಿವೇಕಾನಂದ" ಪದವನ್ನು ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಿ 'ಹುಡುಕು' ಬಟನ್
>>ಕ್ಲಿಕ್ ಮಾಡಿದಲ್ಲಿ ವಿಕಿ ನಿಮ್ಮನ್ನು ಸೀದಾ ವಿವೇಕಾನಂದರ ಬರಹಕ್ಕೆ ಕೊಂಡೊಯ್ಯುವುದು.
>>
>>Transliteration box ಏನಕ್ಕೆ?  ನನಗಿದರ ಉದ್ದೇಶ ಅರ್ಥವಾಗಲಿಲ್ಲ.
>>

> You misunderstood my question, I wasn't clear enough. I know I could
>use a unicode search term directly. My question is how do I write a
>kannada term in unicode using the standard keyboard? (If there is a
>direct/easy way of doing this without using baraha etc., I'm unaware
>of it).

well, taking into account that you've been using baraha, you must be
using windows.  There are different layouts for writing kannada on both
windows and linux. The one is inscript, the other one is
transliteration. By what you've said, it seems that you've been using
transliteration with baraha direct utility.  There's one more such
transliteration scheme + nudi layout provided by M$ itslef, and is
available here: http://www.bhashaindia.com/Downloads/KannadaIME.zip

The default available layout is inscript layout, to enable which no
extra downloads are required (just keep your WinXp CD in hand when it
asks for installing the new files) The detailed directions are available
here:
http://kn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kannada_Support#Windows_XP_and_above

> It would be really nice if I could use the english transliteration in
>the search box instead of the kannada word. For example, typing
>vivEkAnaMda instead of ವಿವೇಕಾನಂದ in the search box should lead me to
>vivekanada's entry.

I don't see a reason why we should have such a thing when you're able to
type directly in kannada.  Are you trying to re-explore yourself and
your language with transliteration, and like to forget kannada lipi in
any way? ;)

Just to summarize it all, sorry to tell this, but ನಿಮ್ಮ  ಪ್ರಸ್ತಾವನೆಯಲ್ಲಿ
ಹುರುಳಿಲ್ಲ ;)

PS: The implementation of such type in kannadakasturi.com has its own
reasons, such thing might not be useful or may not be implementable on
kn wikipedia.

>I'm a newbie here... I might bug you with a few
>more questions, so please bear with me

lol. np.

- h.p.