[WikiEN-l] Nuke [[WP:CITE]] and [[WP:RS]]

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 03:22:28 UTC 2007

On 1/25/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> unreliable
> > >
> > > From my experience with Wikipedia, unsourced articles are generally
> > > very accurate and moderately precise.  When I find them in areas for
> > > which I'm familiar with the body of knowledge and reliable sources, I
> > > will spend time to go find the appropriate citations and sources as
> > > time allows, to "back up" the already existing content with
> > > appropriate references.
> >
> > "Accurate" and "reliable" are not synonymous. Just because the article
> > happens to have everything right does not make it reliable, because
> > there is no way for you to know that it has everything right.
>
> There are more citations per article in Wikipedia than in Brittanica.
> Is Brittanica an unreliable source?

Yes, it is an unreliable source.  I would never cite Brittanica in an
academic paper, nor would I know how to find a reliable source for something
I read in Brittanica.  On the other hand, there are lots of Wikipedia
articles which can point me towards a source I would use in a paper.

That's what really matters - can an encyclopaedia article give you a good
introduction to a subject and point you towards a truly useful source?  If
it can't, it's just a toy.

I already know that Wikipedia is not completely reliable.  Insisting