[WikiEN-l] Troubling news on Citizendium

Nina Stratton ninaeliza at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:40:26 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Problem is that applies to almost any given subject. People do no say
> > "I am not a chemist" even though I can probably find an exception to
> > almost any stamtent about chemisty made by someone without a degree.
>
> Try listening to secondary (high) school Chemistry teachers... they
> have degrees and still teach complete rubbish most of the time. I can
> understand teaching things slightly simplified, but teaching something
> which is actually outright wrong in the name of simplicity is just
> crazy.
>
> A good lawyer is only as good as their ability or inclination to stay
abreast of current precedent. The same goes for any teacher or "expert".
They can't rest on their credentials and expect to know what they're talking
about.

Ultimately, that's the problem I have. At least in America, we have an
"expert" beauracracy set up that rewards past effort while failing to
acknowledge that any "expert" needs to be a life-long learner. A lot
"experts" wouldn't last a day in the private sector, because they simply
wouldn't have competitive knowledge.

Nina

--
Sincerely,

Nina
"Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and
conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work." - Abdul Kalam