[WikiEN-l] Independent article

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jan 18 09:18:19 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:

>On 1/18/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I actually spoke at some length about this with the person who called
>>me - death notices often do in fact show up on Wikipedia before almost
>>anywhere, e.g. the death of [[Andrea Dworkin]], where it went straight
>>from a feminist mailing list to her article and only hit the media
>>during the following day. Being *current* is one of our really strong
>>suits, and the readers know this.
>>

>Ok, so what do we do when mostly we're right, we're occasionally
>laughably (or harmfully?) wrong, and we don't seem to have much
>control either way? Tough to implement any policies telling vandals
>how to behave when they're up to no good...

While vandals are a fact of life, I think that the discussion is best
furthered by assuming that the editors involved in a current events
article are acting in good faith..  In the rush to get things done
errors will crop up, but we are in a better position to openly admit an
error. We can go on with the correction much faster than the more
traditional media.  .An ongoing event warning remains important.

Ec