[WikiEN-l] How to deal with direct requests for articles?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:21:15 UTC 2006

My phone number and email are publicly available for media contact
purposes. This means, of course, I get emails and calls about
*everything*.

A common call is "How do I get an article about me/my book/my achievement?"

Now. What's a helpful answer to this? Better than "You don't, someone
else has to write one," because you *know* they'll just write a really
bad one themselves and it'll all end in a tearful AFD entry and
someone hating or fearing Wikipedia henceforth.

Assume that referring them to a web page or policy page is less good
than being able to answer on the phone right there.

Ideas please?

- d.