[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Sep 24 18:49:10 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The GFDL is such an *awful* licence for wiki text.
>
> Almost everybody seems to agree that the GFDL doesn't really get the job done.
>
> Is there a reason we haven't worked to implement a new licensing
> agreement for all edits this-point-on? I raised this once before but I
> don't think anything ever came of it.

Well, a big part of the reason this issue hasn't been resolved is that
we kept getting told that the FSF was looking into resolving the
issues of the GFDL in an upcoming version.  So far this hasn't
happened.

> My suggestion: Change the edit-field notice from "You agree to license
> your contributions under the GFDL." to "You agree to license your
> contributions under the GFDL, or a [[similarly free]] license chosen
> by the Wikimedia Foundation."
>
> "Similarly free" would link to a page explaining that the WMF would be
> given the right to re-license or multi-license content but only under
> licenses which met the requirements of "free content" (which we could
> outline).

An interesting concept...  But one should note that CC-BY for instance
is a license which meets the requirements of "free content", and there
are a number of people who would probably be opposed to such a
relicensing.

Anthony