[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 16:55:09 UTC 2006

On 24/09/06, David Alexander Russell <webmaster at davidarussell.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. You can't legally require anyone to relicence their work just because
> you decide you don't like the terms any more. They would be perfectly
> entitled to say 'fuck you' (or some lawyer-approved legalese equivalent)
> to the WMF

Indeed. For a real-life example, the Mozilla Foundation wanted to
relicense all MPL code with the GPL and LGPL as well, and I think is
*still* tracking down contributors whose code they want to relicense.
The alternative is rewriting, which is just painful.

> 2. Making all future contributions multi-licenceable would create two
> problems:
> a) New contributions may be licence-incompatible with new ones

eh?

> b) A great deal of contributors would go to Citizendium instead

At last status report I was aware of, Citizendium is still debating
the license for its new works and may dual-licence with cc-by-sa.

- d.