[WikiEN-l] [[Portal:Current events]] (regarding is WP a news portal?)

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 14:28:48 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, NSLE (Wikipedia) <nsle.wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> As an aside to all the discussion that's been going on about articles
> regarding news events, why do we have [[Portal:Current events]] then? Fair
> enough, some might argue it serves a purpose to consolidate all major info
> in major current events. But I think it's ridiculous when things like
> [[Richard Hammond]]'s progress in hospital is being reported at Portal:CE
> daily.
>
> --NSLE/Chacor

I think of [[Portal:Current events]] as a great source for our
readers. I mean, it's not terribly far from wikipedias basic
principles (it's a place for organizing content that has recently been
in the news), and it's a great place to go for information. Usually,
when someone doubts that wikipedia can be anything other than crap, I
tell them to check under "Ongoing events" or "Ongoing armed conflicts"
at [[Portal:Current events]] and click any of the links. They are
almost always impressed. It's a great way to show off one thing that
wikipedia does better than any other encyclopedia in the world.

--Oskar