[WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] [[WP:100K]] - who here writes well in English and another language?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Sep 21 23:24:31 UTC 2006

Carl Peterson wrote:

>I don't really know what articles you all typically work on, but I've been
>concentrating on Mathematics articles, which I've noticed have fewer
>problems than a usual translation. Fortunately, the Pythagorean Theorem,
>which I'm working on right now, is available as an FA in two languages (de
>and fr), one of which I know well enough to make a translation, especially
>since a lot of the mathematics terms are spelling variations on the English
>(or vice versa, depending on how one chooses to look at it).

Technical subjects tend to be easier to translate because language there
tends to be more precisely defined.

Humanities based subjects depend a lot more on subtle variations and
connotations of language, and are more likely to generate false
friends.  In a controversial subject where people have had long
arguments about the right word the situation won't get any easier for
translators into a language where the median POV will be different from
that found in the source language.

Ec