[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia a News Portal (among other things)?

Abigail Brady morwen at evilmagic.org
Thu Sep 21 09:04:37 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi at gmx.net> wrote:
> [[September 2006 Thailand coup attempt]]
>
> Sorry to ask the obvious rhetorical questions here:
> * Wasn't WikiNews designed to be for news?
> * Why is [[Wikipedia:Recentism]] only an essay?
> * Is at a good idea to write an encyclopedia article based a news tickers and CNN?

So, if we weren't to take the approach of having everything up to
date, what should we have?  How many days should we wait until we
change the "Prime Minister" field in the infobox on Thailand?  When
should our article about New Orleans have started mentioning the fact
it had drowned?  Should we attempt to be an encyclopedia for today
minus a month, or what?

--
Abi