[WikiEN-l] Protecting children's privacy

herostratus at comcast.net herostratus at comcast.net
Wed Sep 20 05:04:59 UTC 2006

Not necessarily wanting to start a whole thread, but just a heads-up for those interested:

There's a policy proposal to restrict the personal information that Wikipedia editors 12 and may reveal.
Aside from other reasons, I guess this is designed to bring Wikipedia into something resembling compliance
with the the spirit of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) . It seems reasonably popular, but
there are some editors dead-set against it, so I don't guess consensus is likely to be achieved, but anyway,
it's an interesting issue.

Anyway, the page is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protecting_children%27s_privacy

A succinct digest of the arguments is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Protecting_children%27s_privacy#Where_we_stand_II:_arguments