[WikiEN-l] No derivatives (was: Would you like one of your videos posted on Wikipedia?)

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 22:20:38 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, dmehkeri at swi.com <dmehkeri at swi.com> wrote:
> Seriously, am I the first one to bring ND up? If so, there's probably no point
> adding rules for a rare or even hypothetical case. If not, is there a pointer to
> discussion somewhere?

The "free" in "Free encyclopedia" has always been in reference to
"free content." If you read our page on free content you'll see that
its very definition prohibits a ND license being within that scope.

"Free content, or free information, is any kind of functional work,
artwork, or other creative content having no legal restriction
relative to people's freedom to use, redistribute, improve, and share
the content. Importantly, when free content is modified, expanded, or
incorporated within another work, the resulting work must also be
distributable as free content (see share-alike). To be considered free
content, a work must allow modification and redistribution."

This is probably why it doesn't come up much and isn't addressed
explicitly. I didn't think we needed to address it since it seems
obviously to fall outside of our use of "free".

FF