[WikiEN-l] I've Kicked the Process Habit

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 21:07:26 UTC 2006

On 9/18/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 9:28 AM, geni wrote:
>
> > Perhaps but it was somewhat nicer than the full version.
>
> Geni, this may be news to you, but I'm a semi-active editor in all
> fields. I have a job and a life, and I don't have time to get
> involved with gaping idiocy that arises when one tries to edit
> Wikipedia on a regular basis.

Try editing a different bit of wikipedia.

> To say that I haven't made a lot of use
> of my admin powers of late misses the larger point - the paralyzing
> force of process has driven me away from virtually all aspects of the
> site.

Weird. Click edit button, edit submit. I'm not seeing much in the way
of process. There are vast areas of wikipedia you can have all to
yourself (minor Olympic medal winners or events to start with). Of
course if you choose to play wikipolics that may be somewhat different
(and don't argue that this isn't possible. I know people who edit in
various rather contiversal areas who for the most part manage to stay
clear of wikipolictics.

> A combination of the absurd idiocy that is the CVU and a small
> mob of process droids who were disinclined to expend any time
> actually thinking about an enormously subtle sourcing issue brought
> me to the point where, as I saw it, the sane options were to just
> give up or to just go back to editing in the way that worked quite
> nicely two years ago when I got my adminship.

It isn't two years ago. Trying to live in the past isn't really an
option. Certain things don't scale. Walking away from certian areas is
always an option.

> Is the concept that enormous gunk of process that you appear to be so
> aware of might wear me down over the course of the last year or so
> that hard for you to understand?

Most process you only have to worry about if you deal with certain
areas. At least some of the process we have talked about I didn't know
what it was but I knew where to find it if I needed it. I didn't know
it off the top of my head because it involved stuff I don't deal with
much.

> Or, for that matter, that offensive
> that you had to launch into such a bizarre attempt to smear me,
> including trying to re-air year old dirty laundry like when I blocked
> [[User:The Recycling Troll]], a user who turned out to be a
> sockpuppet the one person who was vocally complaining about that block?

I didn't mention the content of the RFCs (I assume that is what you
are talking about). Weather you like it or not you don't have the
greatest interpersonal skills on Wikipedia. Sure they are better than
mine but that isn't a major achievement.

> What are you trying to accomplish here?

Either your withdraw from your current position or your resignation as
an admin. Doesn't have to be permanent. As soon as you feel that you
are ready to consider what process is again I would not oppose you
getting them back and I believe the general policy is to give back
powers to anyone who voluntarily agrees to give them up.

--
geni