[WikiEN-l] Sanger's first post to Citizendium-l

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:10:20 UTC 2006

> On 18/09/06, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> In particular, the GFDL for images is pretty much a pretend
> free-content licence and not effectively one at all. "Yes, you can
> freely reuse our images in print if you print the entire text of the
> licence next to it." Uh, yeah.

This is why I recommend to people who are anxious about releasing
their images under free licenses to use GFDL. Yes, they are
technically free, and can be used easily be web pages. But you'll
probably never see any print sources bother.

Our GFDL non-compliance goes beyond images, though. If you read over
the GFDL very carefully there are all sorts of things that are
impractical for a communal encyclopedia to do (i.e. modified versions
of works are supposed to have different titles with every modification
— not exactly practical when you are all editing the same
draft-in-progress).

FF