[WikiEN-l] Contest and quality

Akash Mehta draicone at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 11:32:18 UTC 2006

Frankly I agree with you. I've always been annoyed that the current
maintenance collaboration is to create articles that have been
requested for over a year. Articles are constantly requested, yet
there are always requests being filled. So what do we do with the
requests we cannot fill? I propose:
1. Article requests be cleaned up very thoroughly, with entries
deleted if they can't be filled adequately or should not be on
Wikipedia
2. Focus of experienced editor efforts be on clearing out merger
backlogs, voting per specific policies in AfDs, clearing out speedy
backlogs (sysops, obviously) and the like.
3. Attention be paid to the cleanup taskforce and wikification backlogs.
That way we can increase the quality of the encyclopedia. It would be
good if unneccessary stub articles (careful attention should be paid
to whether or not the article should be deleted, but either way
[[Wikipedia:Articles for undeletion]] will pile up with incidents)
could be cleared out, and vandal fighting tools spread to the masses
(every CVU member should know about Lupin's tool or VP/VP2/VS/MWT, for
instance).

You mention that we should aim for 100,000 featured articles. I assume
[[WP:ARCAID]] (merger of [[WP:COTW]] and [[WP:AID]] for those who
weren't informed) will help, however I propose it be expanded so that
there is more advertising of the ARCAID around Wikipedia and
experienced editors are encouraged to contribute. I'm not aware of
other broad attempts to improve the quality of articles (by broad I
mean broad, so SCOTW and the like do not count)

How about we start a wikiproject for the cleanup taskforce? I've
already established one for the wikification taskforce, it has worked
very well and the wikification backlog is being cleared out quicker
every day. A formalisation of the process in a wikiproject would
encourage people to join in, not only to cleanup articles, but to
assist in other measures like publicity for the cause which could
eventually lead in many more people helping out.

And then we could have bureaucrats force 1FA upon RFAs :)

As for your competition, I suggest you give the winner the chance to
donate $100 to Wikimedia instead, its an option I'd personally prefer.

-- Akash/Draicone