[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] BC vs BCE era names

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 6 22:24:26 UTC 2006

jayjg wrote:

>On 9/6/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>ScottL wrote:
>>

>>>According to [[March]], the month is named after Mars the god of war.
>>>The fact that he is the god of war is empirically verifiable?
>>>

>>We also need to abandon our days of the week.  It is clearly a breach of
>>NPOV to go around celebrating a barbarian God like [[Thor]] every seven
>>days.
>>

>A significant difference being that nobody worships the
>Norse/German/Roman gods these days, nor do people live in cultures
>dominated by worshippers of Norse/German/Roman gods. Another is that
>the names of the days are named after Norse/German/Roman gods, but do
>not assert that they *are* gods. On the other hand, billions still
>worship Jesus and assert he is "our God", as does the designation A.D.

The last comment is a non-sequitur.  I would also question the numerical
accuracy of your exagerated billions; the United States population isn't
that high.  The term "a large number" would have sufficed.  Be that as
it may, the fundamental premise that you and many others assert Jesus to
be your God may be true, but that implies nothing about the designation
A.D. or those who use it.

I do not accept Jesus as God, but I still use A.D.  I think that we all
should be free to use whichever form we want, without being constantly
besieged by the forces of political correctness.

Ec