[WikiEN-l] My irrelevant hatnote disambiguation policy

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 18:10:28 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, stevertigo <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hm. So edit this page" and "what links here" are common jargon?
> On the one hand you say 'it has to be in the content, because people dont look
> elsewhere.' Not the most compelling argument. On the other hand you say 'its special
> wiki terminology, though it doesnt belong with other special wiki terminology:' Recent
> changes, What links here, Related changes, Special pages...

The difference, for me, is that 'edit this page' and 'what links
here', etc. are for editing, while disambiguation is for the reader.
While openness in editing is a good thing, I think that things
affecting our readers are more important (in that we have far more
readers than editors, and being useful is a goal).

I also feel that you haven't provided very good reasons for making a
change such as this, except for that you personally find it less
offensive.

-Matt