[WikiEN-l] List of banned books

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 14:41:19 UTC 2006

G'day geni,

> On 10/2/06, Kim van der Linde <kim at kimvdlinde.com> wrote:
>
>> The [[List of banned books]] is a mess, and the way people have
>> added challenged books to the list (ALA_2000 entries) and the
>> clogging up with many doubtful entries (just listed without
>> explanations etc) has made it the target of creationists who try to
>> get a book listed that a book that they claim is banned, but which
>> in fact is far from that (if their rational holds, the bible is
>> banned book).
>
> I would not be suprised to find that the bible has been banned at
> some point in histoty.

The Bible *has* been banned, at several points in history.  For example,
it was banned during the Cultural Revolution in China, and its sale
remains regulated today.  And, as we all know, individual translations
of the Bible (e.g. into German or English) were frequently banned in
Mediaeval Europe.

The world is very big and very old.

<snip />

Cheers,